PARK HISTORY (Page 2)
The Mathew B. Juan Memorial Monument
Front page of Casa Grande Dispatch, August 5th, 1927
The caption reads: Architectural sketch of American Legion memorial to be erected at Sacaton in the Presbyterian church yard to the memory of Mathew B. Juan, Pima Indian, and the first Arizonan to be killed in action in France during the world war.
Stonemason Michael Sullivan
The stonemason for the Mathew B. Juan monument was Michael Sullivan of Casa Grande, Arizona. Mr. Sullivan is noted for his structures built of field stone including the 1927 Presbyterian Church in Casa Grande, the Women’s Club and several private homes. The 1927 Presbyterian Church building commonly known as the “Old Stone Church” is the Heritage Hall of the Casa Grande Historical Society and is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings. The Mathew B. Juan monument was Mr. Sullivan’s last completed project. Mr. Sullivan did not see the dedication of this historic monument as he died on February 25th, 1927 of a heart attack while enroute to Sacaton for a visit. It was noted in a memorial article in the local newspaper that “Mr. Sullivan took a great deal of pride in the project and a joy in its completion.”